Corrosion and Materials in Hydrocarbon Production: A Compendium of Operational and Engineering Aspects (Wiley-ASME Press Series) - Product Features
- This book captures the current understanding of corrosion processes in upstream operations and provides a brief overview of parameters and measures needed for optimum design of facilities. It focuses on internal corrosion occurring in hydrocarbon production environments and the key issues affecting its occurrence, including: the types and morphology of corrosion damage; principal metallic materials deployed; and mitigating measures to optimise its occurrence. The book also highlights important areas of progress and challenges, and looks toward the future of research and development to enable improved and economical design of facilities for oil and a gas production.
External Thermal Insulation Composite Systems (ETICS): An Evaluation of Hygrothermal Behaviour (SpringerBriefs in Applied Sciences and Technology) - Product Features
- This book analyzes the hygrothermal behaviour of external thermal insulation composite systems (ETICS), components that increase the thermal efficiency of buildings. Treating a topic that has largely been neglected, it explores the main cause of biological growth within ETICS. The results of two experimental test series are presented: (i) a long-term assessment of four fa?ades covered with ETICS and (ii) an evaluation of the factors affecting the fa?ades? hygrothermal behaviour. Furthermore, using a previously validated numerical model, it presents a sensitivity analysis of the hygrothermal behaviour of fa?ades coated with ETICS. It also provides a methodology to assess the surface humidification of ETICS, which combines the effect of surface condensation, wind-driven rain and the drying process (three of the most prevalent parameters influencing the surface moisture content), which can then be used as a decision-support tool. ETICS are now frequently used in Europe to improve the thermal efficiency of buildings. Despite their advantages in terms of thermal efficiency, their low cost and their ease of application, these systems are adversely affected by microbiological growth, which causes defacement of cladding. Although the thermal and mechanical performance of the system is not impaired, biological defacement has an enormous aesthetic impact, affecting the inhabitants? living experience and restricting the full implementation of this technology. External Thermal Insulation Composite Systems (ETICS): An Evaluation of Hygrothermal Behaviour provides a valuable resource to engineers and architects utilizing ETICS in their work, and for researchers and students interested in the hygrothermal behaviour of ETICS. It is also intended for those employed in industry and manufacturers of ETICS.
Crosslinkable Polyethylene Based Blends and Nanocomposites (Materials Horizons: From Nature to Nanomaterials) - Product Features
- This volume serves as a cutting edge reference on XLPE based blends, nanocomposites, and their applications. The book provides an introduction to XLPE nanocomposites and discusses the incorporation of natural and inorganic nanoparticles in the XLPE matrix. It also focuses on its characterization as well as the morphological, rheological, mechanical, viscoelastic, thermal, and electrical, properties. It provides an in-depth review of various potential applications, with special emphasis on use in cable insulation. The book focuses on cutting edge research developments, looking at published papers, patents, and production data. This book will be of use to academic and industry researchers, as well as graduate students working in the fields of polymer science and engineering, materials science, and chemical engineering.
IEC/TS 60076-14 Ed. 1.0 b:2004, Power transformers - Part 14: Design and application of liquid-immersed power transformers using high-temperature insulation materials - Product Features
- Provides design, testing and loading information for use by both the manufacturer and user of liquid-immersed power transformers using either high-temperature insulation or combinations of high-temperature and conventional insulation.
Thermoplastic Materials: Properties, Manufacturing Methods, and Applications - Product Features
- Practical and affordable, thermoplastics account for more than 90 percent of all plastic materials manufactured. That so many varieties are now available, speaks to the idea that while there is no one perfect material, it is possible to find a material that fits for every application. However, selecting that right material is no small challenge.
- Answering the needs of manufacturers and product developers, Thermoplastic Materials: Properties, Manufacturing Methods, and Applications provides all the information required to confidently select the right thermoplastic for any application. Based on a course taught to engineering students, the book starts with an overview of the plastics industry, looking at the major companies involved and how their products influence society. It then discusses various topics essential to the understanding and manufacturing of thermoplastics before getting to the core of the book, more than 400 pages of consistently formatted entries, organized according to 19 thermoplastics families and groupings. Each chapter covers raw materials, manufacturing methods, properties, costs, and applications.
Smart Buildings: Advanced Materials and Nanotechnology to Improve Energy-Efficiency and Environmental Performance (Woodhead Publishing Series in Civil and Structural Engineering Book 69) - Product Features
- Smart Buildings: Advanced Materials and Nanotechnology to Improve Energy Efficiency and Environmental Performance presents a thorough analysis of the latest advancements in construction materials and building design that are applied to maximize building efficiency in both new and existing buildings.
- After a brief introduction on the issues concerning the design process in the third millennium, Part One examines the differences between Zero Energy, Green, and Smart Buildings, with particular emphasis placed on the issue of smart buildings and smart housing, mainly the ?envelope? and how to make it more adaptive with the new possibilities offered by nanotechnology and smart materials.
- Part Two focuses on the last generation of solutions for smart thermal insulation. Based on the results of extensive research into more innovative insulation materials, chapters discuss achievements in nanotechnology, bio-ecological, and phase-change materials. The technical characteristics, performance level, and methods of use for each are described in detail, as are the achievements in the field of green walls and their use as a solution for upgrading the energy efficiency and environmental performance of existing buildings.
Electrical Insulating Materials International Issues (Astm Special Technical Publication) - Product Features
- Contains papers presented at the March 1999 symposium held in Seattle, Washington, with sections on standards, electrical insulating fluids, electrical tests, and fire issues. Specific topics include fire hazard testing in the International Electrotechnical Commission Standards, specification issues associated with the development of an agriculturally based biodegradable dielectric fluid, electrochemical stability of mineral insulating oils, standardized testing procedures and developments in partial discharge measurement, and comparative tracking index of flame-retardant nylon and PBT. The editor is affiliated with GBH International. Annotation c. Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
Electrical Insulation Breakdown and Its Theory, Process, and Prevention: Emerging Research and Opportunities - Product Features
- In electrical engineering manufacturing, one of the most important processes stems from making sure the material used to distribute the electrical current is safe and operating correctly. The precarious nature of electricity makes developing innovative material for advanced safety a high-ranking priority for researchers.
- Electrical Insulation Breakdown and Its Theory, Process, and Prevention: Emerging Research and Opportunities provides innovative insights into the latest developments and achievements in high voltage insulation breakdown. Featuring topics such as nanodielectrics, thermal stability, and transmission technology, it is designed for engineers, including those that work with high voltage power systems, researchers, practitioners, professionals, and students interested in the upkeep and practice of electric material safety.
Aerogels Handbook (Advances in Sol-Gel Derived Materials and Technologies) - Product Features
- Aerogels are the lightest solids known. Up to 1000 times lighter than glass and with a density as low as only four times that of air, they show very high thermal, electrical and acoustic insulation values and hold many entries in Guinness World Records. Originally based on silica, R&D efforts have extended this class of materials to non-silicate inorganic oxides, natural and synthetic organic polymers, carbon, metal and ceramic materials, etc. Composite systems involving polymer-crosslinked aerogels and interpenetrating hybrid networks have been developed and exhibit remarkable mechanical strength and flexibility. Even more exotic aerogels based on clays, chalcogenides, phosphides, quantum dots, and biopolymers such as chitosan are opening new applications for the construction, transportation, energy, defense and healthcare industries. Applications in electronics, chemistry, mechanics, engineering, energy production and storage, sensors, medicine, nanotechnology, military and aerospace, oil and gas recovery, thermal insulation and household uses are being developed with an estimated annual market growth rate of around 70% until 2015.
- The Aerogels Handbook summarizes state-of-the-art developments and processing of inorganic, organic, and composite aerogels, including the most important methods of synthesis, characterization as well as their typical applications and their possible market impact. Readers will find an exhaustive overview of all aerogel materials known today, their fabrication, upscaling aspects, physical and chemical properties, and most recent advances towards applications and commercial products, some of which are commercially available today.
Advanced Ceramic Coatings and Materials for Extreme Environments III, Volume 34, Issue 3 (Ceramic Engineering and Science Proceedings Book 581) - Product Features
- Ceramic Engineering and Science Proceedings Volume 34, Issue 3 - Advanced Ceramic Coatings and Materials for Extreme Environments III
- A collection of 12 papers from The American Ceramic Society?s 37th International Conference on Advanced Ceramics and Composites, held in Daytona Beach, Florida, January 27-February 1, 2013. This issue includes papers presented in the Advanced Ceramic Coatings and Systems and Next Generation Technologies for Innovative Surface Coatings symposia.
Sound Insulation in Buildings - Product Features
- The book explains sound insulation in buildings at a level suitable for both graduate students and expert consultants.
- Theoretical models are set out for sound transmission in buildings, with an emphasis on thick and heavy constructions. Thus, the description is not restrained by the common assumption of bending waves which is characteristic of thin plates, only. A general description is provided, with the modal density in the structures as a key parameter. At low frequencies statistical energy analysis is replaced by modal energy analysis. Sound transmission through windows and facades is represented by a model that allows any angle on incidence, including the special case of grazing incidence. One chapter is devoted to the subjective evaluation of sound insulation, particularly noise from neighbours, and how this can be applied in a sound classification scheme for dwellings. Measurement methods in building acoustics are presented with emphasis on modern methods using MLS signals or sine sweeps. The analysis and estimation of measurement uncertainty is discussed in detail. In a final chapter examples of experimental buildings with high sound insulation are explained.
Polymer Insulation Applied for HVDC Transmission - Product Features
- This book focuses on polymer insulation as applied to HVDC transmission. It addresses both fundamental principles and engineering practice, with more weight placed on the latter. This is achieved by providing in-depth studies on a number of major topics such as DC insulation structure, DC insulation design, nanocomposites, modification, testing and performance evaluation. In turn, several typical HVDC insulation application cases are examined in detail, e.g. cables, cable accessories, GIS/GIL, and converter transformers. A comprehensive and systematic study on polymer insulation modification and ageing assessment is one of the book?s major features, making it particularly well suited for readers who are interested in learning about polymer insulation materials. Given its scope, it offers a valuable resource for researchers, engineers and graduate students in the fields of high-voltage and insulation technologies, electrical engineering, material engineering, etc.
Advances in Energy, Environment and Materials Science: Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Energy, Environment and Materials Science (EEMS 2016), July 29-31, 2016, Singapore - Product Features
- The 2016 International Conference on Energy, Environment and Materials Science (EEMS 2016) took place on July 29-31, 2016 in Singapore. EEMS 2016 has been a meeting place for innovative academics and industrial experts in the field of energy and environment research. The primary goal of the conference is to promote research and developmental activities in energy and environment research and further to promote scientific information exchange between researchers, developers, engineers, students, and practitioners working all around the world. The conference will be organized every year making it an ideal platform for people to share views and experiences in energy, environment and materials science and related areas.
Sound Insulation - Product Features
- Sound insulation is an important aspect of building performance. This book is a comprehensive guide to sound and vibration theory and its application to the measurement and prediction of sound insulation in buildings. It enables the reader to tackle a wide range of issues relating to sound insulation during the design and construction stages of a building, and to solve problems in existing buildings. The book has been written for engineers, consultants, building designers, students in acoustics, researchers and those involved in the manufacture and design of building products.